struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 'include' struts.xml stuff is broken?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:39:41 GMT
--- On Wed, 7/16/08, Dave Belfer-Shevett <dbs@homeport.org> wrote:
> And was completely unmentioned in the document I was looking at:

Sorry we didn't put it where you looked. In general I usually recommend looking at core documentation
in addition to FAQs, it provides context for the more free-form, supplementary nature of FAQs.

I've changed the FAQ entry [1] to point to the core documentation. (Note that changes are
not immediately visible.)

> That FAQ should have had a link along the lines of
> "Full documentation for include is [here...].

Feel free to file a CLA and contribute to the documentation or file JIRA issues against existing
documentation; input and contributions are helpful and appreciated (even more so without sniping
and implied obligation :)

> What neither document mentions is how to configure both the
> top level struts.xml and the secondary files to avoid duplicating
> entire interceptor stacks using packages.

You lost me there; once an element (interceptor, stack, whatever) is defined it's available
to subsequent elements. The <package...> documentation [2] describes the use of the
"extends" attribute and states:

"The extends attribute is optional and allows one package to inherit the configuration of
one or more previous packages - including all interceptor, interceptor-stack, and action configurations."

Dave

[1] Breaking up config files FAQ entry:
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/can-we-break-up-a-large-strutsxml-file-into-smaller-pieces.html

[2] <package...> documentation: