struts-user mailing list archives

From Mike Rooney <okokab...@yahoo.com>
Subject ServletOutputStream
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:06:15 GMT
I created a small webapp that extracts data from a DB, creates an Excel file from that data
(using Apache POI), which then streams the file to the end user's browser.  Everything is
working fine, however I have to set the Action class' return type to 'NULL' since I am setting
the servlet response type to 'application/vnd-ms-excel'.  I want to change my application
so that it returns to a 'status completed' page when the extraction is completed. However
I cannot do this when I set the return type is null.  How can I do this?

Here is my code...

public class ExtractAction extends ActionSupport {
  public String execute() throws Exception {
    HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook();
    HSSFSheet prodSheet = wb.createSheet("PROD");
    HSSFSheet devSheet = wb.createSheet("DEV");
    HSSFSheet testSheet = wb.createSheet("TEST");
    HttpServletResponse response = ServletActionContext.getResponse();
    response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
    ServletOutputStream outstream = response.getOutputStream();
    wb.write(outstream);
    outstream.flush();
    response.flushBuffer();
  }
  return null;
  //return SUCCESS
}

and my struts.xml

<struts>

  <constant name="struts.enable.DynamicMethodInvocation" value="false" />
  <constant name="struts.devMode" value="false" />

  <package name="default" extends="struts-default">
    <action name="Extractor" class="action.ExtractAction">
      <result name="success">/example/index.jsp</result>
    </action>
  </package>

</struts>