struts-user mailing list archives

From Giovanni Azua <g...@imc.nl>
Subject Re: [OT] What slows you down?
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:31:14 GMT
In the context of Struts 2 and from my personal experience as a Struts
framework (pure java-centric) user that does not do webapps development
for a living I would have very much appreciated:

1-. A rather colorful set of Struts Blank applications where you could
get out of the box:
   a) Several UI themes to choose from with professional look and feel
=> no worries about graphic design etc (this alone takes away all
efforts involving HTML, CSS, Velocity, Freemarker, and maybe some of the
Javascript too)
   b) A selected and consistent setup of plugins and sensitive
dependencies e.g. dojo, tiles or sitemesh, struts menu, displaytag
(afaik many of
       us Struts users seem to use/need it) ...
   c) Couple of system level concerns implemented out of the box e.g.
user management, authentication.
   d) A scalable design e.g. a generic CRUD mapping and best practices
illustrated for implementing c)

2-. Struts 2 full-fledge implementation of the "Pet Store" tackling real
life web application use-cases in addition to the showcase.
3-. Struts 2 IDE support e.g. wizards for generating #1

I have been recently trying to create a #1 for my company branch using
AppFuse as starting point (btw managed to port it to S2.1.2), but it is
a nightmare because here we don't use Spring, Hibernate etc and skinning
out all that out of AppFuse along with their low level access to Servlet
API, overall is becoming a daunting task.

Well, documentation was initially a big issue for me, because of S2
being a relatively new framework. Now there are really good books in the
market specially the "In Action" I can't put it down ... btw I still owe
a review for it in amazon

... just my 2 Cuban pesos :)

regards,
Giovanni