struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <>
Subject Re: S2 - email client as action result
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 02:46:35 GMT
Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C] wrote:
> I have a S2 action that looks up email address in the database.  It
> needs to open up an email client as the result with the address
> populated (as if clicked on
> What is the best way to set up the s2 result?
> Many thanks for your help,
> Jane

There's little you can do from within an action to request the client to
launch a mail application.

Here are some things to try, in order of likelihood of them working.

1. You could try return a page that contains javascript that attempts to
open a mail program via the mailto: url.  window.location="mailto:...".
If you're along targeting IE you could use activex.

2. Perhaps you return a "redirect" result that redirects to
I doubt that all browsers would accept that.

3. Perhaps you could return an email content type (eg. a .eml file).  I
doubt that all browsers would accept that.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message