struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject usage of Preparable interface?
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 09:47:24 GMT
I have been casting around for a while for the most elegant and quick-to-code
mechanism for putting populating lists for select controls.

I wanted to run this one idea past the struts users to get any feedback on
something I may have missed or need to know.

One requirement I set myself is that I want to avoid coding for the dropdown
lists in every action method.

The Preparable action interface seems ideally suited for this situation.

I can write a prepare() method and use its MethodFilterInterceptor to turn it on
only when doing reads. My creates, saves and deletes don't need lists because
they do Post-Redirect-Gets back to the appropriate read.

The reason I ask is that the struts docs make clear that Preparable is intended
for use in param and model management. Is anyone else using Preparable to do
other stuff like this?

Regards
Adam