struts-user mailing list archives

From JRD <danger_...@hotmail.com>
Subject S2 Losing Session in interceptor
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 15:09:52 GMT

Hey there, I have built an interceptor to store and retrieve ActionErrors
using the session for redirect-action results.  The weird thing is I seem to
lose the values the first time it is run through.

private static final String KEY="org.etc...";

public String intercept(ActionInvocation actionInvocation) throws Exception
{
    ActionContext actionContext = actionInvocation.getInvocationContext();
    Map session = actionContext.getSession();

    if (session.containsKey(KEY)) {
        Collection actionErrors = (Collection) session.remove(KEY);
        if (actionInvocation.getAction() instanceof ValidationAware) {
            ((ValidationAware)
actionInvocation.getAction()).setActionErrors(actionErrors);
        }
    }

    String result = actionInvocation.invoke();

    if (actionInvocation.getResult() instanceof ServletActionRedirectResult
&& actionInvocation.getAction() instanceof ValidationAware) {
        if (action.hasActionErrors()) {
            session.put(KEY, action.getActionErrors());
        }
    }

    return result;
}

So say I have an invalid session (or timeout).  I catch the exception and
then chain to an action that will build the error message and redirect back
to the login page.  When I step through the interceptor it will be fired
twice.  The first time it is being fired by the action that built the error
message.  Everything looks ok and it adds the action errors to the session.
The second time is for the action that displays the login page but when that
interceptor is fired, the session that is returned is empty.

This only happens the first time I do this, if I continue to throw
exceptions everything works as I had expected.

All help is appreciated,
Jonathan