struts-user mailing list archives

From "Al Sutton" <al.sut...@alsutton.com>
Subject Re: Actionerrors & the Store Interceptor
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:17:38 GMT
Chris,

I've used the StoreInterceptor and my opinion is that it just isn't flexible
enough to use.

To illustrate the point, consider try following;

1) You have a View Action which displays all of the data of a specific type,
which uses the StoreInterceptor in retrieve in order to show confirmation
messages from an Update action.

2) You have an Edit Action which sends the user to edit.jsp via the
dispatcher result type. edit.jsp has a menu taking the user to other places
in the app.

3) You have an Update Action which is called by submitting a form on
edit.jsp, this can return the user to edit.jsp using the dispatcher if there
is a problem with the form data, or it can take the user to the View Action
via a redirect if everything is OK. The Update Action uses the
StoreInterceptor in STORE mode in order to send a confirmation back to the
View Action.

Now, if the user gets to the edit stage submits the form, but has made a
mistake which sends them back to edit.jsp, clicks on the menu to go to
another action they end up seeing the error message twice, once when the get
redirected back to edit.jsp from the UpdateAction, and a second time when
they click on any of the links from the menu on edit.jsp.

If you want to track the resolution of this, you may want to look at the
JIRA issue I raised about 10 months ago...

Al.