struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: S2: Actions/DAO interaction getting messy...
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:28:43 GMT
Eric D Nielsen on 25/03/08 14:29, wrote:
> Its a Struts2/Spring2/JPA(Hibernate) based project. I'm using a slightly
> modified version of the Generic DAO pattern shown in the Java persistence with
> Hibernate book and/or the IBM ThoughtWorks very similar example. (Modified to
> allow Spring Based Injection of the JPA EntityManger, while falling back to a
> native Hibernate session inside the DAOs to allow a few more optimizations).
>
> So its basically
> Business Objects (POJOs) <---1:1---> DAOs
> which is a relatively normal pattern I beleive.

Is it normal with that Generic DAO pattern to name the DAOs 'services'? In the
Domain-Driven-Design paradigm that I generally follow, the services are objects
which carry out operations that you don't want to specifically assign to one
domain object.

> [As a side issue: this is a place where the Get (returning a
> proxy/lazy load thunk with only the ID set without hitting the DB) versus Load
> could be useful, but I've never seen any of the generic DAO approaches expose
> that level of control in their API -- does anyone know why?]

that's a pure Hibernate thing, I think, not a JPA distinction.

> just use POJOs there. I believe this approach would work with the Model-Driven
> idea, but it feels a little odd to me to mark up the domain object with
> HTTP-specific details....

Yes it would do, but what do you mean by 'mark up the domain object with
HTTP-specific details'? I don't think you have to touch the domain objects to
code the re-construction of your incoming Bug POJO.

Regards
Adam