struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: OT: Alternative to html frames
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:08:37 GMT
I think it all comes down to whether the "different application/jsp"'s
are in the same domain.  If they are, then iFrames might do the trick
nicely.  Note that even if they are different subdomains, you can still
do cross-frame scripting, it just requires some playing around with the
document.domain attribute (this isn't something I've personally had to
do, but I've read about it).  If it's entirely different domains, then
you're pretty close to dead in the water with frames (Brantley hinted at
some ways around this in his reply, but it's probably fair to say that
all those ways fall in the category of high hackery, so I for one would
tend to avoid them).

Why your bottom frame gets "kicked out" when you get your customer
details, I'm not sure... I think you must be submitting a form in the
bottom frame that has no target, and therefore it replaces what's in
that frame.  That makes sense, and it's what it should do.  What you'd
need to do instead is target a different frame, so the results of the
submit appears there.  It may be your top frame, or it may be a third
frame that you need to add and organize so it's in the right place
relative to your existing frames.

But, I'll also say this: from what you've said, it doesn't really sound
like you have truly independent applications to host.  If that's the
case, then iFrames probably *aren't* the write choice, something more
AJAXy with <div>'s almost certainly is.  If everything is within the
same domain (which doesn't mean the same server necessarily remember),
then iFrames vs. <div>s is pretty close to a wash for all intents and
purposes (with the caveats Brantley enumerated still being valid).  I'd
probably go with <div>s in that case just for the sake of simplicity and
being more "politically correct", but in practice the differences
wouldn't be *that* great.

By the way, anyone that says X, Y or Z is EVIL and should never be used
is, in my opinion, very likely not worth listening to.  As much as I
dislike JSF, and am on record numerous times as saying as much, I've
also always said it may well be the right choice in some situations.
I've never, as far as I remember, said it was evil and should never be
used, and people would be right to simply ignore me if I did.  Same goes
for iFrames, or anything else.  There's certainly some things to
consider before choosing iFrames, as Brantley pointed out, but someone
that simply dismisses them out of hand as your colleague seem to be
doing probably isn't the first person who's opinion you should put much
stock in :)

I mean, we've all heard the admonishment about not using a screw driver
as a hammer because it's not the right tool for the job, and we'd all
agree with that I'm sure.  But, sometimes a screwdriver is all you have,
so a screwdriver it is!  And what's more, you might be working in a
confined space where a hammer wouldn't fit, but a screwdriver does :)

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
  (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)