struts-user mailing list archives

From Brantley Hobbs <sbho...@uga.edu>
Subject Re: OT: Alternative to html frames
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:15:53 GMT
Ya know, this triggers a question of my own:

I have apps that use *tons* of iframes, and there *are* some drawbacks:

1.  Without some sort of "onload()" built-in to every page, there's no
way of knowing if the frame has loaded when you update its .src
attribute.  With an AJAX filled div, you'd know because the
xmlhttprequest object changes states (of course, there's still rendering
time, but at least you know your server response came back).
2.  Browsers sometimes render iframes inconsistently (I'm referring to
the application of style attributes, not to the loading of the iframe).
Divs are usually a little more predictable.
And the worst:
3.  If you load a frame from some other domain, you really have to jump
through hoops to get around the cross-domain scripting security features
built into the browser.

None of these are show-stoppers, but some are annoying enough that I
started trying to rework my little homebrew application layout with
divs.  This caused some problems when I realized that simply setting the
.innerhtml attribute on the div wasn't good enough.  The HTML rendered,
but things like <script> tags were ignored, making the whole thing
useless for me.

S2 apparently does something like this (I haven't looked to see how it
does it yet).  Can someone give me a nutshell description of how to get
around this problem?

(Sorry to threadjack, but at least I can contribute some useful bits of
information, instead of a blanket "iframes are EVIL" comment.)

Regards,
Brantley Hobbs