struts-user mailing list archives

From "Allen, Daniel" <Daniel.Al...@kbcfp.com>
Subject RE: [s2] Validation, but not the first time
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:03:37 GMT
Yeah, I know, my spelling is terrible in code. All I can say in my
defense is that I go back and fix it with Eclipse's refactoring tools at
the end, before anyone else at the company has to see it. That doesn't
save you poor souls on the user list who are subjected to my interim
incompetence, though.

The reason I had the action created by Spring was that it has one field
that's populated by Spring:
<beans>
	<bean id="loginChecker"
class="com.kbcfp.midas.security.TokenDemoLoginChecker"
singleton="true"/>

	    <bean id="loginAction"
class="com.kbcfp.midas.action.LoginAction" singleton="false">
    		<property name="loginChecker"><ref local="loginChecker"
/></property>
	    </bean>
</beans>

I guess I could manually call Spring from Java code to fill in the
log-in checker class, but this way I can keep Spring entirely out of my
code's [direct] dependencies, which helps keep the Maven POM down to a
manageable size. If there's a simpler way to tell Struts to use Spring
on certain of an action's properties, feel free to enlighten me. I've
been doing Struts with Spring for a week, so I'm not set in my ways just
yet.

--[BACK ON TOPIC]--
The wildcard worked like a charm. I changed the struts.xml to the
following:

	<action name="login_*" class="loginAction" method="{1}">
		<result name="input">/jsp/login.jsp</result>
		<result name="success">/jsp/redirect.jsp</result>
	</action>

and changed the form action in the JSP to go to "login_execute", and it
didn't even require any more Java code.

Thanks!
~Dan

--- "Allen, Daniel" <Daniel.Allen@kbcfp.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to prevent the validation from firing unless the user
is
> coming back to it after attempting to log in?

By default the validation interceptor won't check a set of action
methods,
including the "input" method. The easiest thing, IMO, is to create an
action
mapping for the action that specifies the method. One way to avoid
creating
an additional XML mapping is to use wildcarding.

> struts.xml excerpt:
> 	     <action name="login" class="loginAction"> <!-- class is
> instantiated by Spring, hence no qualified classname -->

Declaring the action as a spring bean is optional, depending on how
you're
wiring things, but I'm guessing you already knew that one.

> 			<result name="input">/jsp/login.jsp</result>
> 			<result
> name="success">/jsp/redirect.jsp</result>

If everything is behind S2 then this is an un-necessary complication,
but I
don't know how your app is set up. Just FYI.

> @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
> public class LoginAction extends ActionSupport implements
> ValidationAware, Validateable, SessionAware {

FYI, ActionSupport already implements ValidationAware and Validateable.

> 	private String userName = null;

"null" is the default, uninitialized value for member variables.

> 		if(redirectDesintation == null ||

Spelling :p

Dave

--
This message may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived by any transmission to an unintended recipient. If

This message does not create any obligation, contractual or otherwise, on the part of KBC
FP. It is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) of, or a recommendation to buy or sell,
any financial product. Any prices or other values included in this message are indicative
only, and do not necessarily represent current market prices, prices at which KBC FP would
enter into a transaction, or prices at which similar transactions may be carried on KBC FP's
own books. The information contained in this message is provided "as is", without representations
or warranties, express or implied, of any kind. Past performance is not indicative of future
returns.