struts-user mailing list archives

From Dale Newfield <D...@Newfield.org>
Subject Re: [struts] tag writers resources?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:08:10 GMT
Darren James wrote:
> What I was more interested in is some guidelines similar to what
> Joachim posted in writing a "struts2" tag.  And by that I mean one of
> those generic, technology independent beasts that can be used in
> Freemarker and Velocity as well as JSP.

I don't know how one writes freemarker tags or velocity tags.  I haven't
studied Joachim's example in detail, but it didn't appear to be
answering your question.  It appeared to me that it was an example of
"how to write a tag that is implemented by freemarker" rather than "how
to write a tag that is callable from freemarker".

If you're going to have a theme system, and want to be able to swap out
templates at will, this is a reasonable solution.  If you just want a
standard tag, I see no reason to call on a templating system inside the tag.

You should also be aware that the simplest way to implement a
templatable tag (using jsp) is using a .tag file and a tagdir.  No java
code required.

-Dale

P.S.:  Potentially useful pages if you need to call this tag from
freemarker or velocity:

http://freemarker.org/docs/dgui_misc_userdefdir.html
http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/user-guide.html#velocimacros

P.P.S:  If your question is really "how do i evaluate tag arguments that
are really ognl expressions, then TagUtils.getStack() is probably what
you're looking for:
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/struts2-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts2/views/jsp/TagUtils.html