struts-user mailing list archives

From "Raghuveer" <raghuve...@infotechsw.com>
Subject RE: Commons logging in struts
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:51:45 GMT
Hi,
I understand for struts project there needs be commons-logging.jar needs to
be placed in web-inf\lib folder.
Incase if I want to use Log4j for logging logs related to my own application
only ,is it required to configure log4j again and place 1og4j.jar in
web-inf\lib.
At present i have written some plugin class to initialize log4j separately
for my struts application..
Please let me know Instead of configuring log4j for my java files ..is it
not possible to use commons logging?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pratt [mailto:thechrispratt@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:39 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List; raghuveerv@infotechsw.com
Subject: Re: Commons logging in struts

On Jan 10, 2008 1:25 AM, Raghuveer <raghuveerv@infotechsw.com> wrote:
> Could any one provide information of using commons logging for logging my
> application related logs in  my JSP-STRUTS application

Commons logging is just a logging facade, it is not a logging system
itself.  It is used by libraries and frameworks so that the authors
can write logs that will eventually get logged to whatever logging
system the end user decides to embrace.

With that in mind, what you probably really need to decide is which
logging system you want to use.  The two most popular are definitely,
the one built into Java (java.util.logging.*) and Log4j
(http://logging.apache.org).

One other thing you might want to look into is a more advanced facade
SLF4j (http://www.slf4j.org).
  (*Chris*)