struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: REST and JSON
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:25:06 GMT
Adam Hardy wrote:
> I have a couple of questions on this subject too, if it's OK to join
> in here:
>
> I was trying to find the low-down on 2.1 on the wiki or the jira, so i
> could get an impression of what and how much is implemented. I
> couldn't work out exactly what's what: there are 170 open jira against
> 2.1.0 - 2.1.x versions - do these mostly have to be resolved before
> 2.1 goes GA?

I believe it's only those assigned to 2.1.0.  The last thing Ted
reported was a lot less than this - in the order of 30.  More
importantly, the builds need to be tested
> Also, regarding PUT and DELETE not being supported in HTML4, is there
> any proposal to get them recognised by HTML5?
Don't know
REST implementations work around this by convention. The REST plugin
uses _method=PUT

> Another question: the REST URLs have no suffix and so make it
> impossible to restrict the filter mappings to avoid images and other
> objects which don't require processing:
>
> http://my.company.com/myapp/orders/1

REST implementations seem to allow you to specify a content type.  eg.
1.html or 1; html
With the REST plugin if you get action1.xhtml you'll get the xhtml
result but if you get action1.xml you'll get the xml result and
action1.json you'll get the JSON result, etc.
No extension means get the default (html)
> unless 'orders' is put into the filter mapping in the web.xml. Would
> it comply with REST to use a generic virtual directory:
>
> http://my.company.com/myapp/rest/orders/1
All you're supposed to do is assign a unique URL to each resource, which
is exactly you've done.

Other important aspects of the approach are:
 - you're binding the HTTP methods to certain operations (or in the case
of the REST plugin, certain methods in your action).  eg. POST does not
return a result
 - you're trying to maintain state only on the client (eg. you don't use
a session)
It's not the best thing for every situation.