struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C]" <jian...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject RE: actionPackages parameter provokes PermGen memory error
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:50:50 GMT
I am having the same problem with Tomcat.  I tried the
IntrospectorCleanupListener and still got the PermGen memory error after
5 to 6 deployments.

-----Original Message-----
From: wild_oscar [mailto:miguel@almeida.at]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:56 AM
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Re: actionPackages parameter provokes PermGen memory error

Hi!

Haven't tried that yet, as I haven't used Spring in my project (or life,
for
that matter :p).
I'll try to use it and post the results.

In the meanwhile, an update to the problem:

The problem was in the package I used for the actionPackage.
Investigating
it further, I stripped the package down to one Struts 2 action. The
problem
dissappeared as soon as I replaced

return SUCCESS;

with

return "success";

So there might be a problem in the use of the SUCCESS variable. It might
be
associated with
http://blogs.sun.com/fkieviet/entry/classloader_leaks_the_dreaded_java
Frank's blog entry .

If someone has a hint on this subject, please let me know!

Sami Dalouche wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have you tried spring's IntrospectionCleanupListener ?

http://www.springframework.org/docs/api/org/springframework/web/util/Int
rospectorCleanupListener.html

http://blogs.sun.com/fkieviet/entry/how_to_fix_the_dreaded
>> Frank
>> > Kieviet's  useful blog post), I got to no conclusion about the
origin
>> of
>> > the leak. So I conducted a test. Starting from Struts2's blank
>> > application, I made a script that deployed and undeployed the
>> application
>> > in Tomcat so it would fill the permgen space. If it all was ok,
once
>> > permgen space was full it would release unlinked objects (thus
>> increasing
>> > permgen's free space). If something went wrong, it would give me
the
>> > permgen error.
>> >
>> > To my suprise, I built my application and got the Permgen space
when I
>> > added:
>> >
>> >         <init-param>
>> > 			<param-name>actionPackages</param-name>
>> > 			<param-value>com</param-value>
>> > 		</init-param>
>> >
>> > to my Struts2 filter.
>> >
>> > I had this parameter so I could annotate my actions.
>> >
>> > I tried deleting all my .com package classes. So, even with an
empty
>> > package, putting the actionPackages parameter will give me a
PermGen