struts-user mailing list archives

From Laurie Harper <lau...@holoweb.net>
Subject Re: Validation using validation.xml issue
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:51:05 GMT
Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi
> I have a defined following bean in struts-config.xml
> <form-property name="color" type="java.lang.String" />
> <form-property name="datereqList" type="java.util.List" />
>
> In my action class i set datereqList and pass it along to the jsp, the jsp
> displays it as drop down box,
> in my validtion.xml i am checking to make sure that color is not blank,
> So when validation finds that color is blank it send response to the jsp
> page, but now datereqList is not in request, since it is lost.
>
> What is the best way to solve it, should i put datereqList in session?

It sounds like you have your action's 'input' property pointing directly
at the JSP. Your best bet is to have two action mappings, one for
displaying the form and one for processing it on submission. Then set
the second mapping's 'input' to point to the first mapping. Now,
whenever the form is displayed -- either initially, or following
validation errors -- the form-display action will be called, giving you
a place to load the list into the form.

L.