struts-user mailing list archives

From "Gundersen, Richard" <Richard.Gunder...@london-scottish.com>
Subject RE: DownloadAction and a normal Forward
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:38:16 GMT

Manchester
M2 3LS

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:47 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Cc: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Re: DownloadAction and a normal Forward

It's not the *right* answer, and I'm not sure it won't cause some other
exception anyway (in fact, I'd bet it would), but what if instead of
returning null you instead do:

return new ByteArrayStreamInfo(null, null);

?

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

On Wed, August 1, 2007 9:24 am, Gundersen, Richard wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using a DownloadAction to generate a PDF and return it the the
> browser. If there is a problem generating the PDF however, I want to
> redirect the user to a specific JSP.
>
> What's the best way of doing this? At the moment I am using
>

> protected StreamInfo getStreamInfo(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm
> form,
>                                        HttpServletRequest request,
> HttpServletResponse response) {
> 	if(problem)

servlet.getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/admin.do?doAction=alr
> eadyPrinted").forward(request, response);
> 		return null;
> 	}
> 	else {
> 		return new ByteArrayStreamInfo(contentType, myPdfBytes);
> 	}
> }
>
> This works, but I always get a NullPointer, because I'm returning null
> to satisfy the method signature. The exception doesn't cause a problem
> for the user though, because the forward has already happened by then
> (and the user is happily viewing the JSP)
>
> Is there a better way to do this though - perhaps with
> ResourceStreamInfo instead?
>
> Regards
>
> Richard Gundersen
> Java Developer
>
> Email: richard.gundersen@london-scottish.com
> Phone: 01618302398
> Fax: 01618342536
> London Scottish Bank plc
> 24 Mount Street
> Manchester
> M2 3LS
>

> *** Disclaimer ***
>
> This electronic communication is confidential and for the exclusive
use of
> the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information.
The
> information, attachments and opinions contained in this E-mail are
those
> of its author only and do not necessarily represent those of London
> Scottish Bank PLC or any other members of the London Scottish Group.
>
> If you are not the intended addressee, you are prohibited from any
> disclosure, distribution or further copying or use of this
communication
> or the information in it or taking any action in reliance on it. If
you
> have received this communication in error please notify the
Information
> Security Manager at ISM@London-Scottish.com as soon as possible and
delete
> the message from all places in your computer where it is stored.
>
> We utilise virus scanning software but we cannot guarantee the
security of
> electronic communications and you are advised to check any attachments
for
> viruses. We do not accept liability for any loss resulting from any
> corruption or alteration of data or importation of any virus as a
result
> of receiving this electronic communication.
>
> Replies to this E-mail may be monitored for operational or business
> reasons. London Scottish Bank PLC is regulated by the Financial
Services