struts-user mailing list archives

From "Srinivasula Reddy A , Bangalore" <srinivasu...@hcl.in>
Subject RE: [S2] decoding values of objects properties
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:18:42 GMT

BUT GURU WHEN I CLOSE THE IE SESSEIONDESTROYED METHOD IS NOT EXECUTING

IS THERE ANY CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS I HAVE TO SET IN WEB.XML OR
STRUTS-CONFIG.XML

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Newton [mailto:newton.dave@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:45 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [S2] decoding values of objects properties

I'm still not entirely what you're decoding from and
to; it sounds like something is fundamentally broken,
but...

Remember that with OGNL you *can* call arbitrary
methods, including static utility methods, from with
the EL. So with either a static decoding class or
(preferably) a service object in your action if you're
iterating over a list you can call methods on items
from that list.

d.

--- Paolo Beccari <pbeccari@email.it> wrote:

> > --- Dave Newton  wrote:
> >
> > Why?
> >

> I'll try to explain. The main problem is, that i
> would not to expose a
> single getter-method in the action for each property
> I want to decode. I'm
> searching for a more generic method.
> I thought on some possibile solution, one was to
> return, in each action, the
> entire decode set (roughly speaking, a series of
> tuples name-value-decode).
> That way, I could handle it with <s:iterator and
> <s:if tag each time I need
> a decode. In addition, if the decoded value I'm
> searching is the last in the
> list, the list is entirely scrolled before finding
> result. So I tend to
> discard that.
>
> Maybe it is only a matter of wrong architectural
> design: we are returning to
> the views some objects mapped from the database
> layer "as they are". It is
> possible we need an additional level between, to
> provide decoded values for
> each property, but the temptation to use a scriplet
> <%=Decode(name, value)%>
> with a generic, singleton Decoder class is still
> strong :).
>

> > I've never had to do that, but if I did, I'd be
> most
> > likely to do it in the action or, more likely, a
> > service object in the action.
> >
> > d.
> >

> Yes, I'd be most likely to do, too. But I have to
> find a way to NOT write
> hundreds of methods, one for each decode-set.
> Well, I'll continue thinking on it, BTW thanks for
> reply.
>
> P.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org