struts-user mailing list archives

From "Bruno Melloni" <Bruno.Mell...@wnco.com>
Subject RE: Need a recommendation to use struts version
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 16:13:08 GMT
I find that "no framework" allows quicker writing while using a
framework (i.e.: Struts) leads the thought processes to eventually
produce cleaner, better organized, easier to maintain code. At least at
first, using a framework will be slower, with productivity catching up
as you gain experience and start reusing your code.  When I was at the
top of my game and past the awkward first week or two of a project, by
using Struts (1.2.x at the time) I could go from a paper drawing to a
fully implemented and unit-tested web page (including the database code)
in 4 hours.  You should not expect such productivity right away... 1-3
pages per week are probably reasonable at first.

I hope that provides some perspective.

bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 10:49 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Need a recommendation to use struts version

That's certainly not a bad approach, I wouldn't disagree... however,
only the person actually architecting the application can make the
determination... I don't know if any of this is true, so it's just
hypothesizing, but consider this...

The OP knows servlets, JSP and JSTL pretty well, but has no experience
at all with Struts... further, the application truly is simple, i.e., a
handful of screens, some simple CRUD operations, etc... lastly, he (and
hopefully a representative of the business) doesn't forsee much, if any,
expansion in the future.  In that case, jumping on Struts, or any other
framework, might be counterproductive (except from the point of view of
wanting to learn something new, which is of course always worth it).

This doesn't invalidate your answer, not in the least, I happen to agree
with you... but I also believe in choosing the right tool for the job,
and sometimes that isn't breaking out the chain saw to cut a piece of
Balsa wood :)  Unless you suspect that toy airplane for your kid is
going to need to morph into a 747 later that is :)

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect