struts-user mailing list archives

From cilquirm <aadi.deshpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IDE for struts-enabled web application
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:17:16 GMT

Dave Newton-4 wrote:

> Spend the $50; good grief.

Having been down this road,  I would venture with the "Don't bother." side
of the argument

In my opinion, while the price is fantastic, you're generally stuck with
versions that lag behind their completely free implementations ( i.e. the
hibernate console from the jboss ide and their wsdl support ), or don't work
as well as alternative plugins/features ( say, for example, the data access
tools ).

My advice is to get Eclipse from one of the Callisto distribution sites, and
configure it yourself using the Update Site.

The Eclipse WTP is, for the most part, really well done and supports
everything you need for S2 development out of the box.

However, this is one of those things where your knowledge, expertise, and
familiarity with Eclipse play a big role.

I think, however, this is a great opportunity for someone to become much
more familiar with the Eclipse ecosystem, and learn to pick and choose the
tools that work closer to the way you want.

Dave Newton-4 wrote:

> AFAIK nothing really supports S2 yet, although I don't
> know what the state of WW support was in any of the
> IDEs.
>
> d.

So true.   WW never had any good tools ( to my recollection ) either.

But, because S2 relies a lot less on the "heavy-OO" conventions that make up
S1, pretty much any IDE is suitable for S2 development.

Here, because we're using ClasspathConfiguration, Codebehind, and
Annotations, there's only been a tiny amount of locations where we have had
to go to the configuration files to make the magic happen.