struts-user mailing list archives

From mansou...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: confused about validation
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:39:48 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> I'd say that someone who is learning the framework is in the best
> position to know what other newbies need to know.
>
> What specific changes could we (meaning you) make to the documentation
> so that someone else wouldn't have the same problem.
>
> On 4/1/07, mansour77@yahoo.com <mansour77@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Definitely there's a lot of
>> room for improvement for the documentation, but unfortunately I am still
>> not at a point where I can guide others.  :)

The first thing I would do is fixing the broken links. For example if
you go to the page:
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.6/docs/basic-validation.html

you'll find this error at the bottom:

An error occurred:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts2/trunk/apps/showcase/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/showcase/validation/QuizAction-validation.xml.

The system administrator has been notified.

and all the validation examples will have the same error.

Second thing I will re factor the documentation and try to keep all the
links on one single page. For example,
I will put all the
details of selecting a type found on this page
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.6/docs/result-types.html, under the link

"Selecting Results
<http://struts.apache.org/2.0.6/docs/selecting-results.html> We setup
different results for different result codes."

on the first page of the tutorial. I you may think this doesn't make
lots of difference as the material exist already. But I the links for
detail explanation at the bottom of every page is no very obvious to
find, and it will take time for the visitor of the site to find what she
is looking for.  And it's easier to search and navigate back and forth.

As you can see from questions, the answers were there, but I couldn't
reach them. This tells that the documentation is sufficient to get a
newbie started, but the information has to be placed in a handy place so
that they can be easily reached.

The problem I am running into right now is how to control the location
of the validation error. My guess is to use css,
but I am looking for an example. I have feeling that it's there
somewhere there on the site, but the problem is how to find it.

I will let you know if I noticed any thing else that can be adjusted and
provide you with the suggestion.