struts-user mailing list archives

From Shahak Nagiel <snag...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating to Struts 2
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:57:27 GMT
First question: Why are you looking to migrate?  My general opinion on foundational upgrades
like this is, "don't fix it if it ain't broke."

I wouldn't necessarily agree that Struts (1 or 2) is "geared towards form-heavy apps".  I'd
say it's a powerful and flexible manifestation of the MVC design pattern that makes reuse
and maintenance much easier than a traditional (aka "Model 1") application for moderate-to-large
application, but if you already have a stable (and relatively small) application, I don't
see a compelling need to re-architect it.  OTOH, if you're on the bring of having to make
a lot of changes/additions in the near future, then "migrating" to Struts will not be much
different than simply starting from scratch, so I'd suggest reading through the tutorials
and sample apps.

----- Original Message ----
From: Geffrey Caruso <gcaruso@mobilvox.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:53:58 AM
Subject: Migrating to Struts 2

Ok I'm looking for some advice on migrating and existing web application to
struts 2.  I've seen a lot of stuff online on migrating from struts 1 or
from Web Works but not much on migrating an app that isn't in any existing
framework.

What we currently have is a web app that uses a custom Ajax implementation,
Tiles, maybe a dozen servlets, a lot of JSPs, one applet, and a ton
JavaScript files

It's not a form heavy application and that's why I'm hesitant to move to
struts 2.   From what I've read it seems to be more geared towards apps that
are heavy on the form side and need a lot of flow control.  Our app isn't
like that nor do I see it being like that in the near future.

I just don't want to spend tons of time converting this app to struts 2 only
to find out it doesn't offer us that much over what we are doing right now.

Any advice anyone could offer or any websites they could point me to would
be much appreciated.

Thanks