struts-user mailing list archives

From <bjorn.de.bak...@accenture.com>
Subject RE: DynaValidatorForm with java.util.Date
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:39:11 GMT
Where do I register such a convertor?  Simply add this code to my Action or do I have to add
this somewhere else?

I've figured out what my problem was, but now sth else pops up.  I have a field with type
java.util.ArrayList.  When I enter the form, the precedent Action fills the form.  On screen,
the ArrayList is correctly processed.  Now, when I submit the form, all those values are gone.

I added <html:hidden property="txtFieldForArrayList" /> to my JSP, but it turns out
that was the problem for the previous error.  When I remove that field from my JSP, everything
works correctly for the first time, but the second time I enter the page, this ArrayList is
gone.

What am I doing wrong here?

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:niall.pemberton@gmail.com]
Sent: maandag 12 maart 2007 14:49
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: DynaValidatorForm with java.util.Date

On 3/12/07, bjorn.de.bakker@accenture.com <bjorn.de.bakker@accenture.com> wrote:
> Why does sql.Date work?

Because BeanUtils (at the moment) comes with a registered converter
for jav.sql.Date - but not for java.util.Date. If you want it to
handle String-->java.util.Date you need to register a Converter for
it:

  Converter dateConverter = new MyDateConverter();
  ConvertUtils.register(dateConverter, java.util.Date.class);

Your date converter will need to implement the following interface:

  http://tinyurl.com/2h459j

The section 4.3.1 you refer to below tells you which types are
supported "out of the box".

Niall

> And the apache-site states that it's actually possible to use for instance java.util.ArrayList.
 How do you do that? http://struts.apache.org/1.3.5/userGuide/building_controller.html, see
section 4.3.1.

as type for the dynavalidatorform?  I think that's what causing the issue here.  If it's not
possible, then I'm in deep .... :)

user input is required.  The problem is the following.  When the validation of that form fails,
you return to that form.  Actually, it should return to that form, but you're redirected to
the error page.

> > This is the error:
> > 2448020 12 03 09:29 [http-8080-Processor24] ERROR org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils
 - javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate

> > javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate
> >
> > The form bean exists of a field, which is hidden, of the type java.util.Date.  This
is filled by the action, with the correct date.  When I look at the source of the page, the
date is actually filled in, so that's not the problem.

> > I assume there's a problem with assigning the java.util.Date-type to a field in
a DynaValidatorForm, but I'm not sure that's what causing the problem.  There's also no validation
on that field.

> > Struts-config:
> > <form-bean name="ModifyUserForm" type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm">
> >     <form-property name="txtTokenStatus" type="java.util.Date" />
> > </form-bean>
> >
> > Does anybody know how to have a Date-field in your form, in a way you can assign
it to a textfield and make sure you can also pass it to fmt:formatDate.