struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject [S2 Tip] Always set devMode to false in production
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:04:55 GMT
In the Struts 2.0.6 release, we made the mistake of setting devMode to
true in some of the example applications. As a result, some developers
copied the setting, and then wondered why their Struts 2 application
seemed sluggish!

As of Struts 2.0.7 (coming soon), we've added a Performance Tuning
page to the documentation. Here's the highlights:

* Turn off logging and devMode
* Do not use interceptors you do not need
* Use the correct HTTP headers (Cache-Control & Expires)
* Copy the static content from the Struts 2 jar when using the Ajax
theme (Dojo) or the Calendar tag
* Create a freemarker.properties file in your WEB-INF/classes directory
* Copy the /template directory from the Struts 2 jar in your WEB_APP root
* When overriding a theme, copy all necessary templates to the theme directory
* Do not create sessions unless you need them
* When using FreemarkerResult, try to use the Freemarker equivalent
rather than using the JSP tags

For the nitty-gritty, visit the latest version of the page :

* http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/performance-tuning.html

Kudos to Philip Luppens for starting the tuning page. If you have any
tuning tips of your own, feel free to post comments directly to the
page. (Gotta love Confluence!)

-- HTH, Ted
<http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>