struts-user mailing list archives

From "Davis, John \(Lynch\)" <jlda...@verisign.com>
Subject Help: Populate DB Data into FormBean
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:59:54 GMT
Hi all,

I'm just getting started with Struts 1.3.x and I've run into a problem I
just can't seem to find a way to tackle. I am simply trying to load data
from a database and populate it in a form-bean.

The flow is like this:

		1. user logs in

		2. authenticate user

		3. display a main form with user specific data in

If I do static initialization of data in the ActionForm, the data shows
up just as I would expect.

My question is, where do I need to load the information and how do I
inject it into the form-bean object.

Skipping the jdbc connectivity at this point, I have tried the
following:

		public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
ActionForm form,

		HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)

		throws Exception {

		BuildMainForm bmf = (BuildMainForm)form;

		ArrayList builds = new ArrayList();

		builds.add(new LabelValueBean("build 1", "build 1"));

		builds.add(new LabelValueBean("build 2", "build 2"));

		builds.add(new LabelValueBean("build 3", "build 3"));

		bmf.setBuilds(builds);

		return mapping.findForward("Success");

		} // End execute()

I tried putting this in my LoginAction class to no effect, and I have
put it in my MainAction class. Since my current forward action for my
main class just goes back to main, if I do click submit and get
forwarded back to the same page, the options do appear in my drop down.

I have the following tags in my jsp:

and from my struts-config.xml

		<form-bean

		name="loginForm"

		type="LoginForm"/>

		<form-bean

		name="buildMainForm"

		type="BuildMainForm" />

		<action path="/login"

		type="LoginAction"

		name="loginForm"

		scope="request"

		validate="false"

		input="/login.jsp">

		<forward name="Success" path="/build_main.jsp" />

		<forward name="Fail" path="/login_fail.jsp" />

		</action>

		<action path="/build_main"

		type="BuildMainAction"

		name="buildMainForm"

		scope="request"

		validate="false" >

		<forward name="Success" path="/build_main.jsp" />

		<forward name="Fail" path="/login_fail.jsp" />

		</action>

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynch