struts-user mailing list archives

From Lance Semmens <lance.semm...@marketpipe.com>
Subject RE: Upgrading to struts 1.3.5, nested tags are broken
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:29:00 GMT
Problem solved... it ended up being one of our own custom tags that wasn't cleaning up after
itself. Have changed the tag to mimic the behavior in the standard nested tags.

Cheers,
Lance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:niall.pemberton@gmail.com]
Sent: 07 March 2007 14:22
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Upgrading to struts 1.3.5, nested tags are broken

On 3/7/07, Lance Semmens <lance.semmens@marketpipe.com> wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading to struts 1.3.5, I have followed the upgrade guide
at http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13. Most of the nested tags now seem
to be broken.

> For example:
> <nested:form action="/someAction">
>       <nested:iterate property="records" id="record" type="example.com.Record">
>             <nested:write property="investor.name" />
>       </nested:iterate>
> </nested:form>
>
> The following exception is thrown:
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter method for property: "investor.name" of bean:
"someForm"
>     at org.apache.struts.taglib.TagUtils.lookup(TagUtils.java:903)
>     at org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.WriteTag.doStartTag(WriteTag.java:230)
>     at org.apache.struts.taglib.nested.bean.NestedWriteTag.doStartTag(NestedWriteTag.java:60)
>

> It seems as if <nested:write /> is going to the <nested:form /> to get "investor.name"
instead of "record" in <nested:iterate /> as I would expect. If I change my <nested:write
/> tags to <nested:writeNesting /> it fixes them. I have looked at the code and writeNesting
uses NestedPropertyHelper.getAdjustedProperty() whereas write uses NestedPropertyHelper.setNestedProperties().

> <nested:define /> is broken too, looking at the similarities in all of the nested
tags I get the they're all broken in this way.

I'm not that familiar with the nested tags - are you saying that you
have pages that used these tags and worked in Struts 1.2.x and they no
longer do so when upgrading to Struts 1.3.5?

Niall