struts-user mailing list archives

From "David Birch" <david.bi...@gmail.com>
Subject tiles propagating definition info
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:38:18 GMT
Hi,
   i am trying to use tiles as my layout manager, but have struck a bit of
an issue, in that tiles only seems to propagate definition information one
level - i.e. to the base jsp as set by path attribute on the definition.

The scenario is that we want to detail all layout information in one
definition (all page references, string keys etc), and we have a std layout
jsp which lays out major sections (e.g. header, body, footer etc), then have
subsequent nested inserts (& get string attributes) in the major sections
for more detail - e.g. in the header we want to get the page title attribute
(using <tiles:get getAsString="pageTitle"/>) from the definition, but alas
it never gets this far into the page draw stack.

I gather there is some pattern/method to make this type of thing work, other
than having loads of top-level layout jsps, any hints?

thanks

PS: i checked the source code & it seems very deliberate functionality to
not propagate the definition beyond the first-level jsp, so just wondering
if this is frustrating anyone else? (it was easy to alter the code to
propagate to n-levels...)