struts-user mailing list archives

From Eric Rank <ericr...@lo-fi.net>
Subject Re: [tiles 2] Accessing items from a putList?
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:21:54 GMT
I figured out a way to get by without using the Core JSTL "forEach"
tag. Antonio, as you state, I can use any method of iteration I
choose. In my case, my goal was to use the struts "iterator" tag.
Code that works follows:

<tiles:importAttribute name="myPutList" scope="request"/>

<s:iterator value="#request['myPutList']" id="part" >
	<s:set value="#part" name="p"/>
	<tiles:insertDefinition name="${p}" />
</s:iterator>

However, this seems a little less elegant than using the Core JSTL
forEach tag. But, does it work? Yes. Is it ok? Yes. Is it somewhat
confusing to mix the syntaxes, scopes and contexts? Yes.

I find the context / variable scoping to be more of a challenge to
deal with than anything else. In this example, in order to access the
imported tiles attribute on the page, I need to set it into a scope
that the struts tags have access to. Here , I just put it into the
request scope. Then, once the struts "iterator" tag loops through the
list, it sets the values into it's own OGNL context, which the tiles
tags cannot access. Then, I have to bring it back, once again, into a
scope that the tiles tags can access. This requires explicitly
placing the value into an accessible context with the "set" tag.
Finally, I can insert the tiles definition with EL syntax.

For me, I think the challenge will be figuring out a set of
conventions and self-imposed rules for when it's appropriate to use
Struts tags with OGNL syntax, and when to use EL and JSTL. It's nice
to have the flexibility to put it all together, but it definitely
increases the amount of knowledge required to assemble a page of
code. Just my opinion.

Thanks again for the help,

Eric Rank