struts-user mailing list archives

From "David Friedman" <hum...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: using SMTP server
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:13:03 GMT
Don't forget about the handful of ISP's that block outgoing port 25 (SMTP) unless it is directly
to their own mail servers.  I had one of two of those in recent years.

Regards,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:17 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: using SMTP server

To whom it may concern,

>   I wanna put a text box on my form that user can enter her email and by submitting,
an email send to her. I can do it with a free SMTP server. I set smtp host on localhost in
server.xml ( {tomcat folder}/conf/server.xml). But It just works for gmail. It can't send
mails to yahoo and hotmail.

>   Plz help me or introduce me some documents about SMTP protocol.actually It's not very
clear for me.

Are you testing this from your home computer? Many email services are
refusing to accept email originating from IP ranges that are allocated
to home users, since so many of them have been compromised and turned
into spam senders.

Look into either using an email relay (you'll have to set one up
yourself) or run your application outside the home IP space.

Just a guess.

- -chris