struts-user mailing list archives

From "Bruno Melloni" <Bruno.Mell...@wnco.com>
Subject RE: [S2] Duty now for the future? (was Re: Question about struts2)
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:50:52 GMT
I can't wait to start using Struts 2.0.  The only thing holding me back
is Struts 2.0 "default" use of Spring 1.x instead of the current Spring
2.0.   I know it is "supposed" to work with Spring 2.0 just fine, but
call me paranoid... I'll probably wait until Struts 2.0 uses Spring 2.0
by default.  I suspect many others are waiting for the same event.

-----Original Message-----
From: ted.husted@gmail.com [mailto:ted.husted@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Ted Husted
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:45 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: [S2] Duty now for the future? (was Re: Question about struts2)

I'm copying in the user list, in case others might be interested.

On 11/2/06, someone wrote:
> Hi Ted
>
> Sorry for bothering you. Recently I looked at Struts2 project pages
> and all there looks really exciting :). I just want to ask how stable
> is the current struts2 version.
> I am at the moment before starting with new, very big feature in our
> web client and we are considering using struts2 for it. What are the
> planns for it??
> Do you plan significant changes in the future. What is your opinion
> about this, I mean, is such step it a big risk at the moment???
>
> Thanks in advance for your hints !!!

Struts 2.0 is very stable. It's the direct descendant of WebWork 2, and
we have dubbed the 2.0.x series the "compatiblity release". The bits
themselves are ready-to-go. We're just finishing-up on peripheral
concerns that don't affect the code itself.

In Struts 2.0, we won't be straying far from the path WebWork 2 has
already blazed. WW2 powers some of the greatest web applications on the
planet, including Confluence and Jive Forums. There's no arguing with
success!

Though, since web development is *still* more work than it should be, I
am hoping that there will be significant changes in the future. But,
these changes would build on the solid base provided by Struts 2.0.
The Interceptor architecture is elegant and extensible, and I'm sure we
can take it whereever we want to go.

And, just because we make changes down the road, that doesn't mean other
people have to follow along. In the Struts 1 series, right now we are
shipping Struts 1.3.5. Meanwhile, I'd say that a majority of Struts
applications in production are running on Struts 1.1, which shipped in
2003. If someone has 1.1 (or 1.0) questions, there's still plenty of
people on the list ready to answer. How's that for stability? :)

-Ted.