struts-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Joseph" <thomas.jos...@kottsoftware.com>
Subject [OT] Paging at the database level
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:49:16 GMT
Hi All,

I require that my application should have the ability for paging the results obtained in a
query, typically after a search.

There are many solutions like DisplayTag, that help for paging at the View level. i.e, whole
of the resultset is transferred as a bean to the view, and the paging is done there.

But suppose if the database has to return farly large rows for a query (say-3000), then retrieving
all the records from db, this will be costly, as I may just need the first few results..say
100 most often, then the other results are simply wasted at the cost of my time and resources
required to aquire such a big result-set.

What I think an optimum strategy would be the mid of these two ends.. fetch 100 rows from
db at one go, page it at say 20 rows per page, If at all the user needs to go beyond 100,
fetch next 100 rows and so on.. (What should I do with the previous Results? Keep it? Discard
it? How??)

How good or bad is this idea? Also, how can I page at the DB level (paging is view activity)?
what I do now is pass the offset to the query to retrieve the paged data (eg.. Top in SQL
Server, Limit in MYSQL). How good or bad is the paging like this at db level? Any other ideas
for the same

Any good ideas/ design in this regard ..?

Thanks and Regards,
Thomas Joseph

Kott Software Pvt. Ltd. | Vallamattom Estate | M.G.Road | Cochin, Kerala - 682015 | India

www.kottsoftware.com
This email (including any attachments) is subject to copyright, the information in it is confidential,
and it is legally privileged. Use of this email or of any information in it other than by
the addressee is unauthorized and unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient of the mail,
kindly notify the author of the mail and delete the same.