struts-user mailing list archives

From "Givler, Eric" <egiv...@state.pa.us>
Subject RE: validate integer with a comma thousands seperator using Validator
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:45:28 GMT
You could create another validator, and inside that perform a stripping of non-numeric characters
(stripCommas), then
execute code similar to the existing "long range" validator like this:

    /**
    * Determines if a formatted numeric value is between a range as defined by
    * the user-supplied variables: min and max
    * <p>
    * Note: The only formattting performed is stripping off any commas.  If the
    * resulting number does not convert to a Long, then validation will fail as
    * well.
    * </p>
    * <p>
    * Validation succeeds if:
    * <ol>
    *    <li>The value in question is null.</li>
    *    <li>The parsed field value is within the user-supplied range.</li>
    * </ol>
    * </p>
    * @return
    * @param application
    * @param request
    * @param errors
    * @param field
    * @param va
    * @param bean
    */
    public static boolean validateFormattedLongRange(
        Object bean,
        ValidatorAction va,
        Field field,
        ActionMessages errors,
        HttpServletRequest request,
        ServletContext application)
    {
        System.out.println("*** validateFormattedLongRange (" + field.getProperty() + ") -
START");
        boolean isValid = true;

        String value = null;
        value = ValidationUtils.evaluateBean(bean, field);
        if (!GenericValidator.isBlankOrNull(value))
        {
            try
            {
                long minVal = Long.parseLong(field.getVarValue("min"));
                long maxVal = Long.parseLong(field.getVarValue("max"));
                // We don't want to do this unless we use map.put to show tampered value
                // value = value.replaceAll("[^-0123456789.]", "");
                value = value.replaceAll("[,]", "");
                long lngValue = Long.parseLong(value);

                if ((lngValue > maxVal) || (lngValue < minVal))
                {
                    errors.add(field.getKey(),
                        Resources.getActionMessage(request, va, field));
                    isValid = false;
                }
            }
            catch (NumberFormatException nfex)
            {
                errors.add(field.getKey(),
                    Resources.getActionMessage(request, va, field));
                isValid = false;
            }
        }
        System.out.println("*** validateFormattedLongRange (" + field.getProperty() + ") -
END, returning " + isValid);
        return isValid;
    }

Define this validator in validator-rules.xml:

      <validator name="fmtLongRange"
            classname="view.struts.validator.StrutsValidationExtensions"
               method="validateFormattedLongRange"
         methodParams="java.lang.Object,
                       org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorAction,
                       org.apache.commons.validator.Field,
                       org.apache.struts.action.ActionMessages,
                       javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,
                       javax.servlet.ServletContext"
                  msg="errors.fmtLongRange">
      </validator>

Add a rule for a field:

      <field property="water_usage" page="2" depends="fmtLongRange">
        <arg0 name="required" key="Page_2.water_usage"/>
        <arg0 name="fmtLongRange" key="Page_2.water_usage" />
        <arg1 name="fmtLongRange" key="${var:min}" resource="false"/>
        <arg2 name="fmtLongRange" key="999,999,999" resource="false"/>
        <var><var-name>min</var-name><var-value>0</var-value></var>
        <var><var-name>max</var-name><var-value>999999999</var-value></var>

      </field>

Define the message in the resource file (errors.fmtLongRange):

errors.fmtLongRange={0} must be a valid whole number between {1} and {2}.