struts-user mailing list archives

From Scott Van Wart <sc...@indosoft.com>
Subject Re: I can't put 'maxlength' validator values in my .properties file?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:29:36 GMT
David Friedman wrote:
> I think you need to have at least Struts v1.2.8 unless you manually upgraded
> the Commons Validator jar up to version 1.2.0.  If I understand correctly,
> validator versions before 1.2.0 (Struts < 1.2.8) don't actually make use of
> the "bundle" attribute in your validator xml files.
>
> So, what version of Struts are you using (1.1.4?) and/or what version of the
> Commons Validator are you using?  Have you tried replacing the commons
> validator jar?  I think I read that some people have tried that for older
> versions but I'm not positive.

Another issue is that the FieldChecks class is a part of Struts (1.2.9)
and not the commons validator.  The line where I would assume it should
grab it from the resources bundle doesn't contain any resource references:

    /**
     *  Checks if the field's length is less than or equal to the
maximum value.
     *  A <code>Null</code> will be considered an error.
     *
     * @param  bean     The bean validation is being performed on.
     * @param  va       The <code>ValidatorAction</code> that is
currently being performed.
     * @param  field    The <code>Field</code> object associated with
the current
     *      field being validated.
     * @param  errors   The <code>ActionMessages</code> object to add
errors to if any
     *      validation errors occur.
     * @param validator The <code>Validator</code> instance, used to access
     *      other field values.
     * @param  request  Current request object.
     * @return True if stated conditions met.
     */
    public static boolean validateMaxLength(Object bean,
                                            ValidatorAction va, Field field,
                                            ActionMessages errors,
                                            Validator validator,
                                            HttpServletRequest request) {

        String value = null;
        if (isString(bean)) {
            value = (String) bean;
        } else {
            value = ValidatorUtils.getValueAsString(bean,
field.getProperty());
        }

        if (value != null) {
            try {
                int max =
Integer.parseInt(field.getVarValue("maxlength")); // <---- RIGHT HERE

                if (!GenericValidator.maxLength(value, max)) {
                    errors.add(field.getKey(),
Resources.getActionMessage(validator, request, va, field));

                    return false;
                }
            } catch (Exception e) {
                errors.add(field.getKey(),
Resources.getActionMessage(validator, request, va, field));
                return false;
            }
        }

        return true;
    }

So it's looking like I'm going to need to write my own validator.  OH
well....

- Scott