struts-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Hamacher <...@qualiads.de>
Subject Which Java-framework für new webapplication development?
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:32:16 GMT
Hi everyone,

I´m going to launch a completely new webapplication in closer future. Now I
came to the question, which framework to choose best. After looking at the
struts page I already found 3 different versions: 1.2.x, 1.3.5 and 2.0.
I have worked a lot with the 1.2.x-series in the last year - so this is where
I have most experience. After reading some articles, I found many opinions,
that for a new development the JSF-framework is the best choice. But I´m
afraid, that it takes too much time to learn JSF and do the same stuff as I
did with struts (especially the tiles-stuff) in the same time.
So I´m currently thinking about what version would be the best choice. As I
need a stable version for a "real-life-mission" I think I should stay away
from the 2.0-Version, although it sounds pretty interesting.
So what about the 1.3.5 or 1.2.x versions? I read a lot of indices, that 1.3.5
is close to GA, but would you recommend to use it or better stay with 1.2.x?
As there any disadvantages in 1.3.5? Where does the future development go? Is
there any further support for 1.2.x or will we all go the 1.3.x-way?

Thanks for your input

Thomas