struts-user mailing list archives

From "Pillay, Kiren KN" <Kiren.Pil...@standardbank.co.za>
Subject RE: Indexed Bean Copy
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:36:57 GMT
Thanks for the reply, I will consider your suggestion.

I could have written the business objects to fit the form bean with a
one-to-one mapping, but then I don't think it's a good idea to make the
domain objects match your framework's solution (even though it would
have been quicker this way).

I could have used a collection, I'll add it in when I refactor the code.

Regards
Kiren

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Gordon [mailto:adam.gordon@readytalk.com]
Sent: 11 July 2006 05:24 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Indexed Bean Copy

Kiren-

I assume you mean BeanUtils.copyProperties(...) right?

If so, I believe the reason you cannot use it is because
BeanUtils.copyProperties(...) performs a shallow copy and per the
javadocs (HTML tags removed):  "...and so complex properties (for
example, nested ones) will not be copied."

I would suggest removing it from the Action code by creating a utility
class and implement your own copy() method.  Say, a static "duplication"

method that takes an instance of your bean as a parameter and returns a
new instance of the same bean.  I'm curious as to why you're using
arrays as opposed to the Collections framework....

I don't believe that any copy methods in the J2SE are deep copy methods,
so if this is what you need, then a static utility method is probably
your best bet.

cheers,

-Adam

Pillay, Kiren KN wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got a domain object which stored an indexed array of objects.
>
> <-- Extract of Domain Object
> public class GroupExposures {
>
> 	private Exposure [] exposures=new Exposure[]{new Exposure(),new
> Exposure(),new Exposure()};
>

> 	class Exposure{
> 	float totalSBSABroughtForward;
> 	float otherSBSAFacilitiesPerParagraph;
> 	float SBSAExposureToTheApplicant;
> 	float otherSBGFacilitiesPerParagraph;
> 	float totalSBGExposureToTheApplicant;
> 	float otherSBSAFacilitesWholeGroup;
> 	float otherSBGFacilitiesWholeGroup;
> 	float totalSBGExposureWholeGroup;
> 	float SBGBorrowingsWholeGroup;
> 	float otherBankBorrowings;
> 	float otherLenders;
> 	float totalArrangedBorrowings;
> 	}
>
> public float getOtherLenders(int type) {
> 		return exposures[type].otherLenders;
> 	}
> 	public void setOtherLenders(float otherLenders,int type) {
> 		exposures[type].otherLenders = otherLenders;
> 	}
>
> -->
> Form extract:
> public float getOtherLendersUtilisation(){return
> OtherLendersUtilisation;
> 	}
>
> ----
>
> In my Action class I have to say the following:

groupExposures.setOtherLenders(groupExposuresForm.getOtherLendersUtilisa