struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: How to set size of submit button
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 03:03:38 GMT
Hehe, looks like Adam saved us both the trouble :)  I guess I didn't
realize everything was derived from Element, I thought that was just
what you got back via DOM access (can't say I ever actually thought
about it, but I don't think I would have known that even if I did).

Frank

Eddie Bush wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I don't think you could extract the width from the control's style
> unless you'd set it.  I'd have to agree with you on that one.  Isn't
> there a property on the control (width?) you could determine the width
> from?  Maybe I answered too quick and should have done some research
> first.  I was thinking I had done something similar before, but as I dig
> deeper into my memory I realize that it was the height of an iframe I
> set, and that was based off the contained document's height (scroll
> height or some such thing).
>
> I suppose it seemed intuitive to me that the button should have a width.
> I'll dig into my JavaScript book while at the office tomorrow and see if
> there isn't a property that a person can determine the width of a button
> with.  There's got to be a way to do it.  I'm curious now, too!  I have
> been wrong before though.
>
> I'll try to pop-in at lunch and drop my findings ;-)
>
> Eddie
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank W. Zammetti"
> <fzlists@omnytex.com>
> Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:50 PM
> Subject: Re: How to set size of submit button
>

>> Would that even work Eddie?  I seem to remember that if you didn't
>> explicitly set the width of an element yourself, you can't retrieve
>> it. Indeed, this quick test:

>> <input type="button" id="b" value="this is a test">
>>
>> ..results in a blank alert in both IE and FF.
>>
>> This only matters of course if you have to make all the buttons the
>> same width dynamically, but now I'm just curious!  Is there a way to
>> do it I wonder?
>>
>> Frank

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect