struts-user mailing list archives

From "Chaudhary, Harsh" <HCHAU...@amfam.com>
Subject RE: extending ValidationForm instead of ValidatorActionForm
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 21:12:42 GMT
Seeing that you have set the validate attribute to true in struts-config.xml, you don't even
need the validate method in the form.

As far as I know, that is the only difference in using ValidationActionForm and ValidatorForm.
However, I used the ValidatorActionForm as I had a need to do that. In your case, I would
advise to investigate further and try to get things done with ValidatorForm as this means
that there is DEFINITELY something wrong somewhere which might cause problems later.

If you do decide to go with ValidatorActionForm, yes, you just need the getter/setter methods
and nothing else.

One thing you must remember is that ValidatorActionForm is available in the struts package
in Struts 1.2.8. But from Struts 1.3, its available under a separate package called "struts
extras". So, if you will be moving from 1.2.8 to 1.3, this is something you must consider.

Harsh.

-----Original Message-----
From: josh t [mailto:josh_gotsch@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 4:06 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: extending ValidationForm instead of ValidatorActionForm

So are you saying that the only thing that changes when you switch from extending ValidationForm
to ValidatorActionForm  is the value in  <form name="action vs. form"> ?  Do I need
to be implementing any other methos in my Form, or is what I have enough?

"Chaudhary, Harsh" <HCHAUDHA@amfam.com> wrote:  My first thought was that you might
be using an action as you validation
key i.e., in validation.xml, instead of:

you had:

But this is not the case. So, I can't really tell why this is happening.

Harsh.