struts-user mailing list archives

From Manfred Wolff <wo...@manfred-wolff.de>
Subject Re: Struts with Eclipse 3.1
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 18:21:17 GMT

Take maven and you have no problem with any IDE or development environment.

Manfred

Dave Newton wrote:
> George.Dinwiddie@wellsfargo.com wrote:
>
>> My point is that Eclipse does not, in the base IDE, have the knowledge to build and
deploy a web-app.  You can get that capability with ANT, which gives you all the flexibility
in the world about how you arrange your project, or with a plugin, which requires you to arrange
your project in a particular way.

> Just an FYI, things are still somewhat flexible within a project under
> MyEclipse, if your deployment doesn't reach in to non-WEB-INF dirs.
> (Some of the functionality comes from stock Eclipse.)
>
> For example, on several projects we've had multiple source directories
> (like, say, a unit test source dir, a generated java source dir, etc.)
>
> You can set output directories for each source directory, so the
> "regular" source dir and the generated source dir get dropped into
> WEB-INF classes for automagic deployment, whereas the unit-test stuff
> hangs out elsewhere, accessible to the ant file but not deployed by
> MyEclipse.
>
> We still tended to use ant stuff for creating the war files etc. because
> we all hate IDE lock-in.
>
> Dave

Dipl.-Inf. Manfred Wolff
Software Engineer