struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle W. Cartmell" <KyleCartm...@FirstFinance.org>
Subject validation breaks my form prepopulation
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 19:57:18 GMT
Within my web application (using the Struts action framework) when
validation of an ActionForm fails and control is returned to the JSP
indicated by struts-config.xml, any request attributes that were passed
to that JSP originally are lost because a new request object has been
created.

I believe that replacing such request attributes with data members
within the ActionForm object and populating them from either the
constructor or the reset method resolves this issue and is a much
cleaner design.

A problem arises however, in cases where a value is passed from a
previous form to assist in the process of populating this data. (For
example, a user id number is provided that specifies which user's data
should be pulled from the database.)

This may be resolved by setting the value within the ActionForm in the
JSP before the populated data would be used, and adding code to the
setter method for that value within the ActionForm that acquires that
data from the database and stores it within the ActionForm.

There is a question in my mind, however, regarding the correctness of
this approach. I have done much research over the past two days, and
have seen little in the way of an alternate solution.

Any insight / hyperlinks / good questions would be greatly appreciated!

--
Kyle W. Cartmell
Sr. Software Developer