struts-user mailing list archives

From "Tamas Szabo" <szab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MVC Dilemma
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:08:50 GMT

> On 4/7/06, olonga henry <olongax@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, I am using Hibernate 3 and there are a lot of advantages you get
> from
> > using a complete ORM solution like this compared to Ibatis.
> > No, I am forced to use two databases Ticket (MySql) and Employee(AS/400,
> > legacy info).  I have no choice here.

Then you will have to select all open tickets from the first database and
then go to the second database to get the name of the employers.
The only choice you have is to either use a SELECT EID, ENAME FROM EMPLOYEE
WHERE EID IN (id1, id2, id3, ...) and then assign the names of employees to
the tickets in Java code or to use a select for every EID you got from the
select executed against the ticket table. Whichever is faster...

Furthermore, I don't understand why would someone who talks about Spring,
Hibernate and struts and knows about JTA would want to make JSTL SQL calls
to make the second select. :-)
You should have a getListOfOpenTicketsWithEmployeeNames() business layer
method (or some slightly shorter name :-) ) that returns a bean containing a
Collection of your tickets with employee names. Then you just iterate on the
List and simply display it.

Always try to keep your JSPs as clean as you can...

Tamas