struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:27:38 GMT
On 3/15/06, Michael Jouravlev <jmikus@gmail.com> wrote:

> forever
> > > and
> > > little
> > >
> > > I don't think it's fair to say it has no discernible traction.  I
> > > *would* however agree that it hasn't gotten the traction that was
> hoped
> > > for.  In either case, I for one am not sure at what point it is
> > > reasonable to completely dismiss something because it hasn't yet
> reached
> > > the top of the hill...
> >

> > Please try these opinions out on the MyFaces crowd :-).  In case you
> didn't
> > know, that is an *Apache* project to produce an *Apache licensed*
> > implementation of JSF, along with some cool components that conform to
> the
> > spec.  Popularity is growing like wildfire -- and that was already true
> even
> > before the ADF Faces contribution that recently entered the Apache
> > Incubator.
> >
> > Last time I looked, MyFaces has more active committers than Struts does
> > (action framework and Shale folks combined), and *lots* more commit
> > activity, if that is your criteria for success.  (In case you are
> wondering,
> > it's not mine).
> >
> > Craig
>
> So why again MyFaces is not under Struts umbrella while Shale is?

MyFaces is about (1) a compliant JSF implementation (it passes the JSF
1.1TCK), and (2) a library of JSF UI components.

Shale is about being an application framework that happens to extend the JSF
front controller capabilities (and therefore bypasses the need to
redundantly implement the application features that JSF does include, such
as page navigation).  It is explicitly *not* interested in being either a
JSF implementation or a library of components -- it desires to provide
application level support for apps that want to use EITHER the JSF RI *or*
MyFaces implementation, as well as any JSF components that happen to be
around.

The two work together just fine, but they don't particularly overlap in
functionality or goals.

Michael.

Craig