struts-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: Why did Struts development stagnate?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:38:32 GMT
Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Graham Reeds <grahamr@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Think of it this way: Would you prefer Struts 2.0 to be written from
>>scratch looking much like WebWork but with all the usual teething
>>problems/bugs or have the WebWork and Struts merge, gaining a larger
>>user-developer base (though you may lose some) and miss a lot of the
>>teething problems?

I'm surprised, Michael. I would have thought the incisive question you
pose below would be taboo, and that, as such, I might be the only person
to ever ask something like that. Darned good question in any case...

> If Struts project was simply terminated and users were directed to
> OpenSymphony, how this would be different for an average user?

It wouldn't be substantially different AFAICS. It would have one clear
advantage over the current situation though. The Webwork people could
have been simply improving Webwork for the last so many months instead
of getting bogged down with ASF stuff -- incubation, getting "mentored"
in the "Apache Way" and so on.

It seems reasonable to suppose that they would have moved forward
significantly more than they did over that time period and Webwork would
be better now than it is.

The other advantage of the scenario you propose is that there wouild be
complete clarity about what is going on. The current situation is
extremely confused. Also, it seems that you still have new users
starting off doing things on top of Struts 1.x, which, you have to think
they wouldn't be doing if they fully understood what was going on.

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker group blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/