struts-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: Debate and Free Speech 101
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:52:11 GMT
Vinny wrote:
> Actually he has.  The apache project known as iBAtis: http://ibatis.apache.org

Yeah, I see he is a committer there. The world is full of surprises. I
assumed, from his discourse, that Larry had never really been involved
in open source projects himself. Just from the way he talks. I don't
know the extent of his contribution there but I'm surprised.

Still, Larry's involvement in iBatis is not relevant to the overall
argument I made in the original "Debate and Free Speech 101" post. To
engage in political speech about certain problems does not oblige the
speaker to go out and fix the problems himself. If I criticize the US
policies in Iraq, I don't have to go to Iraq myself to sort it out.
Besides, if somebody thinks the whole policy there is miguided, to tell
that person to go join the army and go off to help fix things there
makes no sense, because he'd just be part of implementing the same (in
his opinion) misguided policies, right?

Similarly, people are perfectly free to ask the question of why Struts
development stagnated without incurring the obligation to go try to fix
that mess. It's a legitimate question. It can be discussed. This whole
fascist stuff of trying to shut people up and cut off debate is really
too much. Vinny, you should really think about this stuff a bit more, dude.

Jonathan Revusky