struts-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Why did Struts development stagnate?
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:58:44 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> On 3/25/06, Jonathan Revusky <revusky@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>>Mark Lowe wrote:
>>
>>>Look.. You've been invited to post your thoughts about the way that
>>>apache do stuff, to a more appropiate audience than a bunch of
>>>half-wit struts users like me..
>>
>>Mark, I was involved in a conversation with various people. It so
>>happens that the conversation developed here.
>

> No matter where the conversation developed, it has gone in directions that
> are off topic on this list.

Well, I differ with you on this. Before Mark's interruption, I posed
basically the following question:

If there is no basic problem with your project management practices (as
you seem to claim) what were the reasons that Struts development
stagnated, with Struts becoming increasingly uncompetitive with other
things in its space, such as Webwork?

The question is, at the very least, broadly on-topic. It is of interest
to the Struts community, because seriously considering this question
would allow you to avoid the same mistakes in the future. It would also
be useful even to people like me who are managing other open source
projects. It is always useful to see what other people have done right
(and wrong) in terms of managing projects.

This is a very complex issue that is worthy of having an open-minded
exchange of views about. Now, nobody is obliged to partake in this
exchange of views, I grant that. But it is utterly beyond me why
somebody who doesn't want to participate in such a discussion should be
trying to prevent other people from doing so.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker group blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/