struts-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: [FRIDAY] Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:29:57 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 3/22/06, Jonathan Revusky <revusky@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>>Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>>foo.apache.org maps to a PMC, which maps to a coding community, not to
>>>a codebase.
>>
>>Henri, I feel I should give you a bit of end-user feedback. I am not
>>active in any apache.org projects, but, obviously, it happens quite
>>frequently that I go visit the front page of a given apache.org project,
>>to check it out for whatever needs I have at that moment.
>>ยด
>>FYI, when I visit foo.apache.org, I am not there for the PMC or whatever
>>ASF bureaucratic construct. I'm there for the code.
>>
>>In general, when I visit the front page of a project, I like to be able
>>to figure out what the thing is fairly quickly. This is definitely a
>>problem with Struts currently.
>

> So that's a website issue ie) how to join/find the community rather
> than an issue in how the community itself is structured.
>
> Do you have suggestions to improve the Struts website so that things
> are more clear? There's not a website at the ASF that couldn't be made
> a bit clearer.

Well, just go to http://struts.apache.org/ and look at it and imagine
that you don't know anything about what struts is. I put it to you that
the reader who hits your front page should not be supposed to know what
the thing is.

What is strange about it is that whoever wrote the page tacitly
recognizes that it is a confused jumble and spends most of the page
trying to rationalize it. "Why two frameworks?" followed by "Why so many
subprojects?" What is also patently obvious is that the two rhetorical
questions are posed on the page, and never, AFAICS, answered satisfactorily.

And then the text there just assumes all kinds of insider knowledge that
the reader of the front page really IMHO should not be assumed to know.

Now, you can go look at the page, Henri, and maybe you think it's okay.
If you do think the whole thing is really A-OK, then we have a
difference of opinion. Here is the basis of it:

Who is the intended audience for this text?

I guess we have different answers for that.

(I could almost characterize it as that the author's intended audience
in "Why two frameworks?" and so on is himself!)

I don't think this is a problem of website organization. The website
problem _reflects_ a deeper problem.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky