struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Using Filters with Struts?
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:25:33 GMT
At 8:23 AM +0100 3/10/06, starki78 wrote:
>Hi I made thoughts about filters
>(javax.servlet.Filter)
>e.g. use them for logging
>and performance measuring purposes.
>Now as we are using struts I would like
>to know if you can, and if it makes
>sense to assign a filter to an action.
>Can someone help me understand if this might
>be a good solution?

You can certainly use servlet filters with Struts.  It would be hard
to apply a filter to a specific action, since the filters operate
before-and-after Struts but not during the execution.  I suppose you
might have the filter set a request attribute and then have an Action
look for it, but that seems tangled and suboptimal.

I suppose in the end it depends on what you're trying to do.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog