struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 04:06:41 GMT
Jonathan Revusky wrote:
> Well, have you considered the positional issues I raised in the earlier
> post? The order in which people vote is quite important. Offhand, here
> is an idea:

You know, I meant to address that and I completely forgot :)  I think
you do raise a valid issue.  I'm not really sure how to solve it...
simple anonymous vote seems the best answer, but how do you pull that
off?  If you have a webapp specially for people to vote, someone could
always accuse you of "cooking" the code :)  That is I think one of the
reasons most projects go with a public vote on a list, and I tend to agree.

> Maybe you should have a vote that is non-binding among the simple users.
> Effectively if most users are against something, then the idea is not
> immediately rejected, but it is indicative of a need for more debate. If
> most users are in favor, then you could move on to the committers voting
> and so on.
>
> The problem is that once the people higher on your pecking order, your
> PMC, vote +1, this will bias the votes of the lower status people.
> (Also, the PMC are the people who are -- hopefully -- more involved and
> are likely to put in their votes with less delay.) The results of the
> voting is bound to be highly dependent on the order in which voting
> takes place, don't you think?

Yes, I do agree it is a concern.  I'm not sure I would say it is
*highly* dependent on order, but I *do* think it comes into play.

Well, I just proposed a few changes to the bylaws on the JWP mailing
list, and I wish I hadn't forgotten about this point because I would
have tried to address it too.  I have to think about it a bit and try
and find a decent solution, I'm not sure what it might be at the moment.

> Your intent is good, but I am skeptical that all this formalized voting
> is really the way open source projects should work. I'm not saying I
> have all the alternatives figured either.

You know, it's funny, but a few years ago I was quite the anti-open
source guy :)  I've definitely changed my thinking on some things over
the years.  One of the things I *haven't* changed my mind about though
is the need for more formality.  I don't believe that *some* rigidity
and *some* project management methodologies is incompatible with the
idea of community development.  Obviously you can't take it too far, but
I'm trying to figure out where the line is :)

If nothing else, I prefer being up-front with people, and I don't want
there to be any mystery in the process.  The voting system may be
somewhat unwieldly, and I in no way think it's perfect, but I would
prefer that to having to figure out how to do a vote every time one
comes up :)

> Jonathan Revusky

Frank

--