struts-user mailing list archives

From Steve Raeburn <sraeb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FRIDAY] Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:31:50 GMT
I guess I should have put some <sarcasm> tags in :-) No, Ajax is cool.
Possibly over-hyped and I have doubts about maintainability and
accessibility, but very cool.

Rather than people volunteering to be community leaders, I think you are
trying to *give* people leadership responsibility, which I don't think
is fair -- unless there is a large cheque attached ;-)

Although under no obligation to do so, the Struts committers have shown
a great deal of responsibility to the community. Many have actively
participated on the mailing lists to help people learn and use Struts
(and often non-Struts too). There has been great emphasis on backwards
compatibility, to ensure your investment in Struts is not wasted. There
has been a great deal of effort put into ease of use and documentation -
more than is required for the committers' own use. Committers (and other
contributors) have voluntarily accepted those responsibilities and spent
the time necessary to fulfil them.

The responsibility that has been shown is more than I have any right to
expect. I'm grateful for it and I'm sure it has contributed to the
success of Struts, but I have no automatic right to expect it.

Bottom line is that the only *rights* you have are those granted by the
license. Craig was generous enough to initially contribute Struts under
a permissive license, which means that if you really feel the Struts
project (code + community) is not serving your needs, that you won't be
prevented from using and modifying it as you see fit. Even starting a
new project if that's what you want.

One final thought. If the committers have a responsibility to the
community, what is the community responsibility to the committers?

Steve