struts-user mailing list archives

From vijay venkataraman <vij...@ltp.soft.net>
Subject Re: Map backed actionForm and pushing multiselect value in the map
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:26:15 GMT
Can someone take time to answer this question.

Thanks,
Vijay

vijay venkataraman wrote:

>|Hi,
>
>Sorry if you receive this twice. I didn't see this mail for more than 4 hours after sending
it.

>I have a Form bean backed by a Map.
>I want to capture the responses of the input fields in the jsp in to this Map.
>
>When the selected values results into Array(String[]) in case of Multiselect only the
first
>value in the array gets in to this map as a value. This is the case with radio buttons
fields having same names.

>My action form bean is a copy of the bean given in struts document.
>
>public FooForm extends ActionForm {
>
>    private final Map values = new HashMap();
>
>    public void setValue(String key, Object value) {
>        values.put(key, value);
>    }
>
>    public Object getValue(String key) {
>        return values.get(key);
>    }
>
>}
>
>Here is the JSP fragment
>

>When the JPS page is rendered i am able to see the value
>as ONE and TWO for my multiselect. Now in the UI when i select ONE and TWO,
>only one value that is the first one in index zero is part
>of the map.
>
>I debugged it and found that this is handled by ||setProperty(Object bean, String name,
Object value)|| in bean util class
>I have cut and pasted the code at the end of mail for quick reference and using that as
context to explain the problem.
> [...]
>                    }
>                    return; // Read-only, skip this property setter
>                }
>                type = ((IndexedPropertyDescriptor) descriptor).
>                    getIndexedPropertyType();
>            } else {
>                if (descriptor.getWriteMethod() == null) {
>                    if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
>                        log.debug("Skipping read-only property");
>                    }
>                    return; // Read-only, skip this property setter
>                }
>                type = descriptor.getPropertyType();
>            }
>        }
>        // HERE>>>
>        // Convert the specified value to the required type
>        Object newValue = null;
>        // HERE>>>1
>        if (type.isArray() && (index < 0)) { // Scalar value into array
>            if (value == null) {
>                String values[] = new String[1];
>                values[0] = (String) value;
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert((String[]) values, type);
>            } else if (value instanceof String) {
>                String values[] = new String[1];
>                values[0] = (String) value;
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert((String[]) values, type);
>            } else if (value instanceof String[]) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert((String[]) value, type);
>            } else {
>                newValue = value;
>            }
>        } else if (type.isArray()) {
>            // HERE>>>2
>            // Indexed value into array
>            if (value instanceof String) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert((String) value,
>                                                type.getComponentType());
>            } else if (value instanceof String[]) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert(((String[]) value)[0],
>                                                type.getComponentType());
>            } else {
>                newValue = value;
>            }
>        } else {
>             // HERE>>>3
>             // Value into scalar
>            if ((value instanceof String) || (value == null)) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert((String) value, type);
>            } else if (value instanceof String[]) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert(((String[]) value)[0],
>                                                type);
>            } else if (getConvertUtils().lookup(value.getClass()) != null) {
>                newValue = getConvertUtils().convert(value.toString(), type);
>            } else {
>                newValue = value;
>            }
>        }
>
>        // Invoke the setter method
>        try {
>            if (index >= 0) {
>                getPropertyUtils().setIndexedProperty(target, propName,
>                                                 index, newValue);
>            } else if (key != null) {
>                getPropertyUtils().setMappedProperty(target, propName,
>                                                key, newValue);
>            } else {
>                getPropertyUtils().setProperty(target, propName, newValue);

If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.

Lisle Technology Partners Pvt. Ltd. and any of its subsidiaries each
reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.

individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the
sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.