struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Lowe" <mel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FRIDAY] Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:20:30 GMT
> On 3/18/06, Mark Lowe <melowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Tomcat is perhaps a little different in that its a reference
> > implementation its survival and usefulness is potentially broader.
>

> Having been heavily involved in the development of Tomcat (the Catalina
> servlet container in Tomcat 4.x and later was basically my original design
> for Apache JServ 2.0, but was adopted by the Tomcat community for 4.0), as
> well as Struts, I think I can be a reliable commentator here :-).
>
> * Tomcat didn't succeed becase it was a reference implementation.
>   It succeeeded because it did the basic job of being a servlet and
>   JSP container better/faster than many implementations at the time,
>   and it was available under a business friendly license.  It continues
>   to be popular because it continues to excell at execution of these
>   goals (along with adding very nice configurability and other features
>   that go way beyond the spec required functionality).  If it was
>   "merely" a reference implementation, it would have been ignored
>   by the market.

I wasn't suggesting that tomcat was only successful because it was a
reference implementation, that one of its uses that's distinct from
something like struts is that is a reference implementation. I was
just trying to make a point about how the absurd idea that
success/popularity of a given piece of software, framework etc. Is
more likey to be a function of its usefulness and not political
conspiricies as dakota jack would have folk believe.

Mark